interesting ariticle on the chinese ghost month..from here...
02) It was said that young people should not wander around too late into the night during the ghost festival for fear that spirits would follow the individual home.
03) It is bad luck to kick or disturb offering to the hungry ghost such as joss stick, candle and food offerings. All these item are mean for appeasing the spirits and ghost.
04) It is also inauspicious for couple to get married during the hungry ghost month.
05) During the month, Chinese Operas would be stage to perform and entertain the spirits and soul during the hungry ghost festival. Usually the front row of seats are reserve for the spirits so it is not advisable to seat on it especially during the first day of the festival. It is said that one may get prosess if the individuals luck is low.
06) It would be best to avoid swimming during this month as victims death by drowning may cause the individual to drown. Some has experience their leg been drag/pull into the water.
07) During this month it is not auspicious to visit a sick person in the hospital, attend an funeral, moving house and starting a new business.
08) Avoid talking about ghost during this month as it may offend wandering spirits.
09) Wearing black clothing are consider inauspicious during this time of the year too. So is red if I am not mistaken.
10) It is advisable not to have the main door of a premise open all night long. This apparently will invite negative energy into the house.
11) Leaving an umbrella open outside the house in the night is also considered a no no as spirits may take shelter under them.
12) Bringing an umbrella into the house after it was used in the night is also not advisable. It is said that one may bring/carry in spirits to the house.