Bougthe the Garmin 205W, came back, there is no Malaysia map, only US map loaded..now how to get the Malaysia map into my Garmin?
From here, it seem I need to download the MPM map and put it in SD card, then wah la it will work, but where to get the MPM map for Malaysia?
instal Garmin mapsource..here..
Mapsource 65111 version installation failed..after click on Next..
first time instal the 6137 version got same error, then later try to run the registry file first, then only run the installation, it work this time..after installation, and try to launch, it show and error..said there is no mapsource avaialable this is correct as there is no any mapsource file..now is time to download some map file, before that i try again with the 6511 version now it is ok.
download the MFM map from here..got the gmapsupp.img file saved in SD card..first trial failed, Garmin cannot detect..now create a new folder called Garmin and put the file there see can or not. ..still not working, now try to use Mapsource to create the map file..but when come to transfer hit error saying that if I click yes, then I will permenantly delete the Garmin pre-programmed map..recomended to click NO..but if click no then map did not get transfer..
what's next now?
it work, just direcetly change the country, and now I can see Malaysia..and enter the address.. can find the address of KL, but now satelite cannot find it..may be no line here..need to wait when go out need to test it if can receive the satelite..
20100407 update - still cannot aquire the satellite..send request to Garmin support center, everybody claim that need to go out to open space and stand still in order to aquire the satellite..I think I need to do this as well..
Here is more details of reason why a device cannot aquiring the satellite signal from Garmin..
- If your unit has not been used for an extended period of time (more than a month), it may take 3-5 minutes to acquire satellites.
- If your unit is indoors, it may not acquire satellites. Even standing next to a window indoors will block a majority of the sky which is needed for a device to locate and lock onto a satellite signal.
- If you have just finished updating the software in your unit or you have performed a master reset, your unit may take 3-5 minutes to acquire while outdoors as the data that is used to locate satellites may have been erased.
- If your unit has traveled over 500 miles while turned off or not tracking your travel, it may take 3-5 minutes to acquire even in ideal conditions.
- If your vehicle has a protective coating on its windshield or electronic devices which interfere with the unit receiving signal, your unit may need an external antenna* in order to acquire satellites.
- If you suspect this to be an issue, try taking the unit outside of the vehicle with a clear view of the sky for 3-5 minutes so that the unit can acquire satellites. If your unit loses satellites once moved back into your vehicle you will most likely need an external antenna*.
the key word - clear sky, outdoor, stand still...
updated 12 april 2010
it is working now, the satelite is located but abit slow and in my car, vkool, very difficult to get signal, plus this weekedend, raining day, basically manage to get only once in the car..that was put the gps in the front or rear of the car..
but the map is not something fanstatics, need to try to get a good map..because when i search damansara without street and house number, there are many strange thing come out like 11. 11/2 etc..although there is something usefull like pusat damansara..
now need to wait for this pikom and buy the SD card..